Multihull Sample Policy
Thank you for choosing Craftinsure. Craftinsure is an online insurer and so it is intended for this policy to be viewed in electronic format. A definition applies to any word shown in bold italics. To view the definition, simply click on the word. You can also view and download the definitions at
policy is governed by the law that applies to where you reside in the
United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Relevant to the entire policy
- This policy is an agreement between you,
Mr A Sample, and us. It is based on the
information you gave to us for the Insurance of Astus 20.1,
“Boat Name”, £XXXX, and is in place
following payment of the premium for the period
DD/MM/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY.
- This policy is non-transferable.
Click on words when viewing this policy online to see their definition.
Ashore or afloat on inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom including Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland
Accidental Damage & Theft cover. What is covered:
will pay for physical loss or damage to “Boat Name” whilst ashore or
afloat, being lifted, hauled out or launched, or in transit by road within
the UK (provided by professional road haulier if over 30ft in length).
What is not covered:
- Loss or damage due to wear and tear, depreciation,
gradual deterioration, or mildew.
- Theft from the interior of “Boat Name” or place of
storage ashore unless following forcible and violent entry, or theft of
gear and equipment from the exterior of the boat unless violence and force
- Loss or damage resulting from electrolysis, osmosis
or similar conditions.
- Loss or damage to motors, electrics, batteries and
their connections unless directly caused by “Boat Name” grounding or
sinking (provided not due to a cause excluded within this policy), or by
fire, contact with an external substance (other than water), malicious
damage, theft, sudden accidental incursion of water following an
identifiable and unexpected occurrence, dropping off or falling overboard
of outboard motors, or by frost (providing all manufacturer’s
recommendations have been followed).
- Theft of outboard motors whilst attached to
“Boat Name” or her tender(s)
unless securely locked by an anti-theft device which prevents retaining
bolts or clamps being undone, and unless you can supply the engine
- Loss of or damage to consumable stores or moorings.
- Sails or protective covers more than 3 years old
split by the wind or blown away.
- The cost of making good any defect in repair or
maintenance, or replacing or renewing any defective part, or making good
any fault or error in design or construction.
- Claims for loss of use of “Boat Name”
- Loss or damage to masts, spars and sails whilst racing
- Where “Boat Name” (or her tender)
is fitted with a kill cord, we will not pay for any loss or damage caused
by loss of control where a kill cord is fitted
but has not been used.
Conditions which apply:
- We will pay the reasonable cost of repair for
loss or damage not exceeding £XXXX Reasonable replacement or repair may
not result in the appearance and condition being the same as that prior to
the claim. In the event of total loss or
constructive total loss, we will pay £XXXX or
at our option, provide a replacement boat of a similar age, size
- In the event of Constructive Total Loss, we
will be entitled to retain any salvage.
- We will not pay for unrepaired damage in the
event of a subsequent total loss.
- In the event of loss or damage to outboard motors, and only where the
serial number is supplied, we will pay the
reasonable cost or repair or reinstatement but not exceeding the market
value at the time of loss which will be calculated as the new replacement
price less a deduction of 10% per year since new, up to a maximum deduction
- In the event of total loss of sails,
we will pay the cost of replacement less a
reduction for wear and tear based on 15% per year since purchase of the
sails, with a maximum reduction of 60%, or the excess whichever is the
- We will pay reasonable costs of inspecting the
bottom of your boat after grounding, provided
incurred specifically for that purpose, even if no damage is found.
- We will pay reasonable costs incurred,
including salvage, in preventing or minimising a loss covered by this
- If a claim occurs whilst on a marina berth,
the excess is reduced to £100.
Personal Effects. What is covered:
The personal effects of “Mr A Sample” are covered
against loss or damage whilst on board or used in connection with “Boat Name” up to a limit of
What is not covered:
- any single article valued at over £250 unless agreed in writing by us.
- Wear, tear, gradual deterioration, damp, mould, moth,
mechanical and electrical failure or breakdown.
- Breakage of items of a fragile nature unless caused
by “Boat Name” grounding, or being
in collision, or due to fire, theft or attempted theft.
- Loss of cash, travellers cheques, credit or debit
cards, postage stamps, and any other negotiable instruments or documents
with a monetary value or cost to reinstate.
- Loss or damage to jewellery, antiques, works of art,
software, spectacles, or mobile phones.
- Theft unless following forcible and violent entry or
exit, or following forcible and violent removal from the exterior of
Liability to Others. What is covered:
- We will cover your legal
liability to compensate other people if someone dies or is injured, or
property is lost or damaged as a result of your
interest in “Boat Name” up to a
limit of £5,000,000 in respect of any one accident (which shall be deemed
to include a series of accidents occurring in connection with or arising
out of any one event) but unlimited in the aggregate.
- We will also pay for law
costs incurred in settling or defending any claim providing we have given
- Subject to the policy terms and limitations, cover
extends to any person in charge of“Boat Name” with your
permission, but not to persons employed by you.
- We will pay for all
expenses properly incurred by you in connection with Official Inquiries,
and Coroner’s Inquests.
- We will pay reasonable
costs of attempted or actual raising, removal or destruction of wreck
resulting from loss or damage covered by this insurance.
What is not covered:
We will not pay for any
liability claims arising from:
- Liabilities to third parties whilst whilst “Boat Name” is in transit by road
(which should be covered by the vehicle insurance).
- Accidents or illness to any persons employed by you in connection with
- Costs of defending any criminal prosecution, or the
payment of any fines or penalties.
- Contractual liability.
Exclusions which apply to the whole policy.
- The first £XXX of any claim,
doubled whilst moored between 15th October and 31st
March unless within a marina. Please note that craft based in Scotland or
Ireland are required to be ashore or in a marina
when not navigating during this period.
- The excess is reduced to £100 in respect of Personal Effects,
tenders and outboard motors not
exceeding 10hp, or where a claim occurs within a marina.
We will not pay any claims arising from:
- Hire, charter, or any other commercial activity.
- War, invasion, civil war, conflict or commotion, or terrorism
- Capture, seizure, restraint or detainment.
- Ionising radiation, radioactivity, nuclear fuel,
nuclear waste or nuclear equipment.
- Any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or
- Malicious computer codes, or from the failure of a
computer chip or computer software
- Wilful misconduct or acts of recklessness by you, or those to whom this policy extends,
including but not limited to when under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Your boat is being used
single-handedly for a period exceeding 24 hours.
- Pollution or contamination unless directly caused by
a sudden, identifiable, unintended and unexpected incident occurring
entirely at a specific time and place during the period of insurance.
We shall not provide coverage to you or any other
party to the extent that such cover would violate any applicable trade or
economic sanctions law or regulation.
You have agreed:
- “Boat Name” is constructed of
fibreglass, aluminium or steel and does not exceed 50ft (15.25m) in length.
- The permanent home mooring of “Boat Name” is in the United
- “Boat Name” will be maintained
in a proper state of repair and seaworthiness,
and in the case of trailers, roadworthiness, and will exercise due care and
diligence in safeguarding your boat and property.
- If “Boat Name” is over 20
years old and over 23ft in length, you have in
your possession a survey report not more than
five years old from a qualified surveyor, with all recommendations complied
- If “Boat Name” is in
Scotland or Ireland during the period 15th October to 31st March she will be ashore or in a marina when not navigating.
- Any tender will be marked with the name of the parent boat.
Information you should provide
- It is important that you
check the information shown in your policy documentation, as your cover is
based on the information you have given us during
the application process or subsequently, as confirmed in your most recent
documents. Although we may undertake checks to
verify your details, you must take reasonable
care to ensure all the information provided by you or on your behalf is, to the best of your
knowledge and belief, accurate and complete.
must tell us immediately if at any time any of the information is incorrect
or changes. If we have wrong information, this
may result in an increased premium and /or claims not being paid in full,
or your insurance may not be valid and claims not paid. If in doubt about
any information, please contact us as soon as possible.
Changes in information we need to be informed of
include, but are not limited to, the following examples and apply equally
to all persons covered under the policy:
- Accidents or theft involving a boat, whether or not
resulting in a claim
- Convictions or pending prosecutions for any criminal
- Make or model of boat, modifications or use of the
boat, or where the boat is moored
- Any health matters affecting ability to operate the
Your insurance may not be valid until we have
agreed to accept your changes and we will be
entitled to vary the premium and terms for the rest of the period of
should keep a record of all information supplied to us in connection with
- You can cancel this
insurance at any time at www.craftinsure.com by accessing
your Existing Customer pages of the website, or
by emailing us.
- If you have made a claim
during the current period of insurance and cancel the policy, there will be
no refund of premium. Please refer to the Terms & Conditions on
In accordance with the Terms & Conditions agreed when purchasing or
renewing your policy, we will until further notice charge the credit or
debit card registered with us when payments become due. Renewal terms will
be emailed to you 30 days prior to the renewal date. We may vary the terms of the policy (including
the premium) at renewal. On the renewal date, we will automatically apply
for payment of the premium due. If you do not
want to renew the policy, provided you tell us or
cancel your policy online before the renewal date, we will not renew it.
Accidents and Claims:
Click on the heading "Claims" on our website and complete the online claim form.
- You must tell us immediately about any
accidents, claims or legal proceedings in connection with this policy by
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 0345 2607 999.
- You will give us full information of the
circumstances of the incident and of all claims made, with names and
addresses of claimants and witnesses of the accident, as soon as possible.
- We can decide where repairs shall be carried
out and may require a number of quotations.
- No liability shall be admitted, nor any offer, promise or payment made
by you, nor legal expenses incurred without our
consent. We shall be entitled to take over, and
conduct in your name, the defence of any action.
- You must send all claims, letters, summonses
or writs relating to any accident to us immediately. We will decide how to settle or defend a claim,
and may bring or defend proceedings in the name of any person covered by
the policy, including recovery proceedings.
- In the event of any claim arising which is also recoverable under any
other insurance, we shall only be liable for our
due proportion of such a claim.
- If a claim is false or fraudulent in any way, we will not make any payment and the policy will
- Manage your policy at www.craftinsure.com, where you can change your details, boat details or
payment method, or submit a new claim or track the progress of an existing
- Claims can be reported using our 24 hour specialist
claims hotline 0345 2607 999.
For other matters, contact us at email@example.com, or call
our helpline on 0345 2607 888.
On behalf of Craftinsure Limited trading as craftinsure.com, Underwriting
Agents for Navigators & General (a trading name of Zurich Insurance
Navigators and General is a trading name of Zurich Insurance plc, a public
limited company incorporated in Ireland. Registration No. 13460.Registered
Office: Zurich House, Ballsbridge Park, Dublin 4, Ireland. UK Branch
registered in England and Wales Registration No. BR7985. UK Branch Head
Office: The Zurich Centre, 3000 Parkway, Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire PO15
7JZ. Authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland and subject to limited
regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority.