Dayboat & Keelboat Sample Policy
Thank you for choosing Craftinsure. Craftinsure is an online insurer and so it is intended for this policy to be viewed in electronic format. A definition applies to any word shown in bold italics. To view the definition, simply click on the word. You can also view and download the definitions at
policy is governed by the law that applies to where you reside in the
United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Relevant to the entire policy
- This policy is an agreement between you,
Mr A Sample, and us. It is based on the
information you gave to us for the Insurance of BayRaider 17,
“Boat Name”, declared at £XXXX, and is in place
following payment of the premium for the period
DD/MM/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY.
- This policy is non-transferable
Click on words when viewing this policy online to see their definition.
Ashore or afloat on inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom including Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland, and up to 30 days in Europe.
Accidental Damage & Theft cover. What is covered:
will pay for physical loss or damage to “Boat Name” whilst ashore or
afloat, or in transit by road within the UK, Ireland or Europe.
What is not covered:
- Loss or damage due to wear and tear, depreciation, gradual deterioration
- Theft of equipment unless following forcible and violent entry, or
following removal from your boat by force.
- Theft of trailer, and any insured items attached to it, whilst unattended
unless the trailer has been securely fastened by a purpose manufactured
wheel clamp or hitch lock.
- Personal effects
- Loss or damage resulting from electrolysis, osmosis or similar
- Mechanical, electrical and electronic breakdowns, failures, faults or
breakages, and frost damage.
- Theft of outboard motors whilst attached to “Boat Name” or her tender(s) unless
securely locked by an anti-theft device which prevents retaining bolts or
clamps being undone, and unless you can supply the engine serial number.
- Loss of or damage to consumable stores or moorings.
- Sails or protective covers more than 3 years old split by the wind or
- The cost of making good any defect in repair or maintenance, or replacing
or renewing any defective part, or making good any fault or error in design
- Claims for loss of use of “Boat Name”
Conditions which apply:
- We will pay the reasonable cost of
repair for loss or damage, but not exceeding £XXXX Reasonable
replacement or repair may not result in the appearance and condition being
the same as that prior to the claim. In the event of total loss or constructive total loss,
We will pay £XXXX or provide a replacement
boat of a similar age, size and type.
- In the event of constructive total loss, we
entitled to retain any salvage.
- We will not pay for unrepaired damage in the event of a subsequent
- In the event of loss or damage to outboard motors, and only where the
serial number is supplied, we will pay the reasonable cost or repair or
reinstatement but not exceeding the market value at the time of loss which
will be calculated as the new replacement price less a deduction of 10% per
year since new, up to a maximum deduction of 70%.
- In the event of loss of sails, We will pay the cost of replacement less a reduction for wear and tear based
on 15% per year since purchase of the sails, with a maximum reduction of
60%, or the excess whichever is the greater.
- We will pay reasonable costs of inspecting the
bottom of your boat after grounding, provided incurred specifically for
that purpose, even if no damage is found.
- We will pay reasonable costs incurred, including salvage, in preventing
or minimising a loss covered by this insurance.
Liability to Others. What is covered:
will cover your legal liability to compensate other people if someone
dies or is injured, or property is lost or damaged as a result of your
interest in “Boat Name” up to a limit
of £5,000,000 in respect of any one accident (which shall be deemed to
include a series of accidents occurring in connection with or arising
out of any one event) but unlimited in the aggregate.
will also pay for law costs incurred in settling or defending any claim
providing we have given written consent.
Subject to the policy terms and limitations, cover extends to any person
in charge of “Boat Name” with your permission, but not to
persons employed by you.
will pay for all expenses properly incurred by you in connection with
Official Inquiries, and Coroner’s Inquests.
will pay reasonable costs of attempted or actual raising, removal or
destruction of wreck resulting from loss or damage covered by this
What is not covered:
will not pay for any liability claims arising from:
- Liabilities to third parties whilst “Boat Name” is in
transit by road (which should be covered by the vehicle insurance).
- Accidents or illness to any persons employed by you in connection with
- Costs of defending any criminal prosecution, or the payment of any fines
or other penalties.
- Contractual liability.
Exclusions which apply to the whole of this policy
The first £XXX of any claim, doubled whilst racing
We will not pay any claims arising from:
- Hire, charter, or any other commercial activity.
- War, invasion, civil war, conflict or commotion, or terrorism.
- Capture, seizure, restraint or detainment.
- Ionising radiation, radioactivity, nuclear fuel, nuclear waste or nuclear
- Any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or
- Malicious computer codes, or from the failure of a computer chip or
- Wilful misconduct or acts of recklessness by you, or those to whom this policy extends,
including but not limited to when under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Pollution or contamination unless directly caused by a sudden,
identifiable, unintended and unexpected incident occurring entirely at a
specific time and place during the period of insurance.
We shall not provide coverage to you or any other
party to the extent that such cover would violate any applicable trade or
economic sanctions law or regulation.
You have agreed:
- Boat Name is constructed of
fibreglass, aluminium or steel and does not exceed 30ft (9.14m) in length.
- The permanent home mooring of “Boat Name” is in the United
- “Boat Name” will be ashore or
in a marina when not navigating during the period 15th November and 31st March.
- “Boat Name” will be maintained
in a proper state of repair and seaworthiness,
and in the case of trailers, roadworthiness, and that you will exercise due
care and diligence in safeguarding your boat and
- If “Boat Name” is over 20
years old and over 23ft in length, you have in your possession a survey
report not more than five years old from a qualified surveyor, with all
recommendations complied with.
- Any tender will be marked with the name of the parent boat.
Information you should provide
It is important that you check the
information shown in your policy documentation, as your policy and
cover is based on the information you have
given us during the application process or subsequently, as confirmed
in your most recent documents. Although we
may undertake checks to verify your details, you must take reasonable care to ensure all
the information provided by you or on your behalf is, to the best of
your knowledge and belief, accurate and complete.
You must tell us immediately if at any time any of the information is
incorrect or changes. If we have wrong
information, this may result in an increased premium and /or claims not
being paid in full, or your insurance may not be valid and claims not paid.
If in doubt about any information, please contact us as soon as possible.
Changes in information we need to be informed of
include, but are not limited to, the following examples and apply equally
to all persons covered under the policy:
- Accidents or theft involving a boat, whether or not resulting in a claim
- Convictions or pending prosecutions for any criminal offence
- Change of where the boat is moored
- Make and/or model of boat, or modifications, or use of the boat.
- Any health matters affecting ability to operate the boat
Your insurance may not be valid until we have
agreed to accept your changes and we will be entitled to vary the premium
and terms for the rest of the period of insurance.
should keep a record of all information supplied to us in connection with
You can cancel this insurance at any time at www.craftinsure.com by
accessing your Existing Customer pages of the website, or by emailing
If you have made a claim during the current
period of insurance and cancel the policy, there will be no refund of
premium. Please refer to the Terms & Conditions on our website.
- You can cancel cover within the first 14 day "cooling off" period, if you haven't made a claim.
In accordance with the Terms & Conditions agreed when purchasing or
renewing your policy, we will until further notice charge the credit or
debit card registered with us when payments become due. Renewal terms will
be emailed to you 30 days prior to the renewal date. we may vary the terms of the policy (including
the premium) at renewal. On the renewal date, we will automatically apply
for payment of the premium due. If you do not
want to renew the policy, provided you tell us or
cancel your policy online before the renewal date, we will not renew it.
Accidents and Claims:
Click on the heading "Claims" on our website and complete the online claim form.
- You must tell us immediately about any
accidents, claims or legal proceedings in connection with this policy by
e-mail to email@example.com or by phoning 0345 2607 999.
- You will give us full information of the
circumstances of the incident and of all claims made, with names and
addresses of claimants and witnesses of the accident, as soon as possible.
- We can decide where repairs shall be carried
out and may require a number of quotations.
- No liability shall be admitted, nor any offer, promise or payment made
by you, nor legal expenses incurred without our
consent. We shall be entitled to take over, and
conduct in your name, the defence of any action.
- You must send all claims, letters, summonses
or writs relating to any accident to us immediately. We will decide how to settle or defend a claim,
and may bring or defend proceedings in the name of any person covered by
the policy, including recovery proceedings.
- In the event of any claim arising which is also recoverable under any
other insurance, we shall only be liable for our
due proportion of such a claim.
- If a claim is false or fraudulent in any way, we
will not make any payment and the policy will be void.
- Manage your policy at www.craftinsure.com, where you can change your details, boat details or
payment method, or submit a new claim or track the progress of an
- Claims can be reported using our 24 hour specialist claims hotline 0345
For other matters, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call
our helpline on 0345 2607 888.
On behalf of Craftinsure Limited trading as craftinsure.com, Underwriting
Agents for Navigators & General (a trading name of Zurich Insurance
Navigators and General is a trading name of Zurich Insurance plc, a public limited company incorporated in Ireland. Registration No. 13460. Registered Office: Zurich House, Ballsbridge Park, Dublin 4, Ireland. UK Branch registered in England and Wales Registration No. BR7985. UK Branch Head Office: The Zurich Centre, 3000 Parkway, Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire PO15 7JZ.
Zurich Insurance plc is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland and authorised and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority. Details about the extent of our authorisation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from us on request. Our FCA Firm Reference Number is 203093.