Autumn: End of season advice
- Make sure dinghies are securely tied down to the ground and slightly bow-up to help water drain off covers
- Remove boom covers and spray dodgers on bigger boats to reduce windage. And if not removing furling headsails, make sure they are well secured!
- Check your boat regularly over the winter or arrange for someone locally to do so. Keep an emergency numbers list in your mobile.
- Keep drainage channels free of leaves and debris so that water doesn’t build up and find it’s way below.
- Don’t rely on automatic bilge pumps to prevent flooding. Batteries become drained and they are prone to blockages.
- Make sure your engine has been winterised in accordance with the manufacturer’s advice.
- Remove electronics and any other valuable items as far as possible to safe storage. Fit good quality locks – don’t let your boat be the easy target.
- Make a list of what’s been done to winterise the boat to help remember what to reverse in the spring.