Summer: Before you set off
- Leave your sailing plan, with expected times of arrival and calling points with harbour master, relatives or friends.
- Plan passages carefully. Check for hazards between waypoints when navigating by GPS.
- Ensure your crew are fully briefed on what to do in an emergency.
- Check you have sufficient fuel. Only use cans designed for carrying petrol.
- Ensure seacocks are closed when not in use.
- Keep gas cylinder valves firmly closed when not in use.
- Make sure any spare cylinders are secured so that they can’t break free in bad weather